Monday, November 8, 2010

Our world is topsy-turvy!

I suppose one just has to start when it comes to writing a blog entry. I have so much on my heart and mind that I really don't know where to begin! What a time this has been for us, my beloved Joe and I, as we begin our adventure. Sometimes I find myself questioning just why we've chosen a path like this for ourselves. It's funny because we received so much encouragement from all of those around us, people who never made the choice to up and leave what was familiar and establish themselves somewhere else. All of these people said that it was something they wished that they had the chance to do, and now they never will. I understand why we were so encouraged but at the same time I think it might be harder than it looks (and harder than I anticipated!). For those who don't know me as well as others, you need to know that I tend to be an incredibly introspective person, so I probably spend too much time dwelling on all the things that are bothering me! For instance, I want to set up a home, with pretty scented candles, matching linens, my own cookware, pictures of us on the wall, and planning our first Christmas together. I find it hard to be boarding in someone else's home, not knowing where we are going to live or what the next day is going to bring. I find myself clinging to any semblance of control I can have over our lives, which is very little. Truly, the only control we can have over our lives is to put our lives in the hands of our loving God, who we believe has led us this far. But, let me tell you...my faith is being seriously tested living in the home of a devout atheist and his devoutly atheistic children. Time to find an apologetics class!!

Anyhow, enough of that! Topsy-turvy is so much better than unchallenged or lacking passion. I can tell you, we are neither unchallenged nor lacking passion. We have to fight each day, sincerely seeking the path that is right for us, and, with some trepidation, reveling in the mystery of it all. God is so good, and God's plan for our lives is so much bigger than we could ever anticipate. I can't wait to find out what it is, little by little! What I can tell you right now is we are making our home in a gorgeous city. I can't believe how beautiful Melbourne is, albeit truly metropolitan it has maintained a sense of natural beauty. We are living in a suburb named Eltham right now, and there are miles upon miles of trails through gorgeous "bush" as they call it here. We've seen the most beautiful tropical birds, parrots, and yes, even a troop of kangaroos. We love walking and exploring! There is even a bike path all the way from here into downtown, and that trip takes 45 minutes in a car. We are excited to start getting pay-cheques so that we can buy ourselves some used bikes. Moreover, we are making our home in a thriving city, and for that we should be truly grateful. The city is in full development mode, with plenty of room for young, innovative minds. We know that once we find our niche we'll be very challenged, which is wonderful! Joe is playing for a basketball team with really wonderful teammates. I can tell already that we fit in very well, despite being one of the youngest and the only married couple! We have been welcomed with open arms and everyone is eager to show us around. Yes, all is well!

Now, this isn't much of a first posting. No exciting news or tantalizing tidbits. Yet, it's whats going on for us, we are striving, we have had many ups and downs, but we are excited and we DEFINITELY aren't throwing the towel in yet. Not only that, but through it all we've only grown closer. On our wedding day I could have never imagined I'd only grow more deeply in love with my husband, but each day I wake up filled with such a sense of gratitude that this is the man God gave me to fight for heaven with.

I love you and I miss you!    XOXO





2 comments:

  1. Oh Em! I'm so glad you are a good writer, because it's like you're putting all my little feelings into words when I can't! Luke and I are faced with many of the same challenges, since his job as a hockey coach will have us traveling to who knows where, and most likely having to adapt, and make a home for ourselves (over and over again). We are excited to take on these new challenges, and find comfort in the fact that no matter what happens, or where we may go, we will be experiencing the ups and downs together and building an ever stronger marriage and family because of it. And one thing that I have discovered about having your own home.. it is wonderful, but it's just filled with tempting ways to spend money that we don't have- like, how much would those scented candles and new linens, and pretty picture frames cost? So we have to be content with a home that is our own, but decorated in a style we call "garage sale chic." Haha oh well it all builds character in the end! I am praying for the two of you, maybe one day a basketball team and hockey team in the same city will want our men! Wouldn't that be fun!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Amy, thank you so much for writing this! I'm so glad that you can relate and, in an odd way, it is so consoling to know that someone I know and love is going through the same thing! Keep us updated ok? I would just LOVE if we ended up in the same place eventually. I love your garage sale chic, I think I'll have to borrow the idea. PS: your family is just GORGEOUS. Your little man is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete