Monday, July 11, 2011

Pregnancy Tool Kit

Hello again our dear ones near and far away! I hope this July day finds you all well and very happy. I am currently layered up with leggings, a skirt, and two sweaters. Brrrr, it’s chilly! However, I also just finished eating an orange popsicle, I couldn’t resist! A pregnant girl has got to do what shes got to do J
Yes, I eat popsicles all day long lately!!! My favorite are orange and sprite flavored, Joe has taken quickly to fudgsicles. We have a collection in our freezer :) 

Today, for something completely different I wanted to share (with those of you who might be interested) some of the tools that have helped me have such a fabulous, healthy pregnancy. I started off this pregnancy reeling from the emotions of the experience and all of my fears (superficial and deep) regarding this journey. It motivated me to pursue a healthy, vital pregnancy. In the process, I’ve learned that unfortunately most women are fed with the message that pregnancy is a condition that must be managed instead of a natural and beautiful process. I think in the end, constantly hearing that message can lead to a lot of undue fear and painful experiences. 
Of course, I recognize that every woman is different, every baby is different, and every pregnancy is different. Thus, there isn't just one "right way" to be pregnant or manage pregnancy. Some need more intervention and management, and that is OK too! But, here are some of the things that have helped me!
WARNING: this blog is LONG, if pregnancy doesn't interest you, you may want to skip to the last paragraph :)
The first has been my beautiful Hypnobabies Childbirth Preparation Course. Now, this is a course that teaches hypnosis for childbirth, and at first hypnosis sounded really out there and wonky to me. However, Hypnobabies is really about learning to deeply relax and also to reprogram your psyche to view pregnancy as normal, natural, healthy, and safe. The hour or so that I’ve spent each day since about 25 weeks learning about my body and bonding with our little girl has been so utterly invaluable. Moreover, it is a complete childbirth course, so there is tons of information about nutrition (including encouragement to gain SUFFICIENT weight during pregnancy, yay!), and exercise. Husbands are involved also, and I can’t wait to try my tools out on Liliana’s birthday. However, even if her birth should take any unexpected turns, I will use Hypnobabies for affirmation and reassurance in every subsequent pregnancy.
The second is positive birth stories and birth videos! I have spent much time reading positive birth stories and watching videos of beautiful, peaceful births on youtube. I think that it really helps to feel united to other women, to see their strength, and to have first hand witnesses of how beautiful and strengthening birth can be, despite its intensity and oftentimes the pain. When I feel worries, especially when bombarded with other women’s horror stories or the oh-so-popular phrase “you’ll give in and get the drugs,” I just watch a video or read a birth story, or look at the GORGEOUS photos by birth photorapher Lynsey Stone J

Third and more recently is information about optimal fetal positioning. It has been revealed to me that there is a perfect position for babies to be born in! Statistically, this position allows for quicker labors, perfect head positioning, and therefore calmer mamas! Specifically this is anterior (facing mom’s back), chin tucked, and with the fetal spine to maternal left. It is shocking to me that women aren’t told about this more, because we can actually encourage our babies into this position in the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy. It involves almost no time reclining, and lots of time on all fours or leaning forward, but I feel like that is a worthwhile little sacrifice. Check out these websites:
All of the different positions our wee ones can assume in utero!

Fourth is Exercise!!! Now, I have been fortunate enough to feel well enough to exercise throughout pregnancy. However, while I started out doing what I normally would in the gym, I obviously had to revise. Now, I get into the weight room maybe twice a week and do arms and lots of squats (and at the same time frighten to death all the macho men in there with my ginormous belly!). The other two or so times I work out, I use my amazing MommyShape Prenatal DVD, which I bought from www.amazon.com. Taught by a woman who is 35 weeks pregnant, the dvd was too easy for me in second trimester but has been perfect in the third. It is a mix of yoga, dancing, and light weights (I use soup cans). Liliana loves the dancing portion and always gets her little self going before dropping off to sleep. What a sweetie!

This is what the cover of the DVD looks like :)


Fifth, but  most important is Spiritual Preparation. Joe and I have just devoured “Parenting with Grace” by Gregory and Lisa Popcak. (http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Grace-Gregory-K-Popcak/dp/1592766854/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310370958&sr=8-2We)We only read up to and including the chapter on parenting infants, but it truly helped us understand better our vocation to parenthood and the responsibility of teaching this little one about the Father’s love from her first moments. Moreover, it has reminded us of the importance of a strong and passionate marital love as we parent. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who is interested. We read it outloud together, little by little, and I know we will return to it many times in the future.
Well, this has certainly been a novel! BUT, I hope that it provides some help to whoever may be early in their pregnancy and looking for little ways to have a joyful, beauty-filled baby growing. Tomorrow I will write about the “American Dream” himself, my husband. And yes, he has been called that here.
We love you! Prayers from OZ,



2 comments:

  1. lovely post. I love your approach to natural childbirth and your openness to so many different methods of labor and pain management. You are going to do wonderfully! Great inclusion of so much info for pregnant ladies... here's to lots of hands and knees time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Geneva! It has been fun learning so many new and wonderful things during my pregnancy and it has made me feel so passionate about many of these issues. I am excited to hear Cordelia's birth story one day soon!

    ReplyDelete