Monday, February 14, 2011

LOVE

Dearest Ones,

 Happy Valentine's Day for all of our friends and family in the United States and Canada! I hope you are all having a happy, spoiled rotten sort of day, full of happiness and lots of love. For those of you who are single, don't be depressed! I was reflecting yesterday (Valentine's day in Australia) that being single during Valentine's day can be the best thing ever. I remember fondly my delicious chocolate, wine, romantic comedy, and maybe even new clothing single Valentine's days. Not that I'd ever trade what I have now for them, BUT, treasure them! First of all, you are so loved to your very core by your Creator, and secondly being single on Valentines day helps avoid the let down that so often is the case (through no explicit fault of the poor male species who cannot help but be utterly petrified by female expectations on this day!).

Unfortunately, my dear husband worked all night on Valentine's day and I was in school all day, thus our day of romance consisted in a loving good morning kiss, Joe putting me through a rigorous workout in the gym at the end of his shift, and laying in bed completely exhausted while he did sudoku and I read for school. Despite the "average" nature of the dayValentine's day is a special day for us, because 2 years ago today was our very first date at the OH MOST DELICIOUS Pappasitos restaurant in Dallas. Mmmm, guacamole. And, despite the fact that Valentines day didn't seem to be very special yesterday it WAS because I was able to start and end my day at the side of my Beloved. I still cannot believe I am so lucky as to be his wife. Our marriage seems to be infused with romance (even in the tiny and inconsequential things), and so I don't feel let down nor deprived, I just feel blessed!

Australian summer continues to bless us with its beautiful and quite mild weather! I get to walk through beautiful Fitzroy gardens every day on my way to school and it always makes me sooo happy. It is probably my highest praise of this city, that it provides so much beautiful green space for its citizens. Every day there are picnics, mamas with babies, people playing sports, people having naps, and sometimes even live music. The disadvantage of the beautiful weather is the capital F freaky Huntsman spiders that have made their appearance. The other day one scuttled across my window as I got on the car, and just a few hours later one dropped from its web onto the ground right in front of me. These are the scariest spiders I've ever encountered and I'm always scared to walk under trees because I can imagine one on my head! Just to give you an idea...SOO SCARY!


In other news baby is growing fabulously! We are just now at 16 weeks, as I was "misinformed" by one of our websites so I'm one week behind what I thought. Our sweet little one now has eye brows and eye lashes, and is kicking quite furiously down low on my left side. It certainly eases the pain and uncertainty of all the changes. I am so blessed to have many women in my life, close friends, who are experiencing pregnancy for the first time! We are able to empathize with and love one another through the emotional roller coaster that is pregnancy numero uno. I received a beautiful email from my consecrated sister the other day, in which she managed to put everything in perspective with her inspired words. She said:

"I know that amidst the thrill of having a baby on the way, the reality of the change that is happening in your life can sometimes be overwhelming. (it’s a special cross that He has placed on your shoulders but it is exactly THAT that can be your victory)! But also just remember how beautiful you are – inside and out, and even more now with the added glow of a life inside…and that you are so loved and valued simply because YOU ARE (and no big belly can change that…in fact, it has a special effect of making you absolutely adorable!!!). Yes, life is changing so rapidly for you…but take it one moment at a time – one step leads to another step. And when the next step comes, God will give you the grace you need for that new moment."

So to all my pregnant friends, keep those words close to your hearts! Here is a picture of our little one, HOW CUTE! So lovable, and oh so lovely.


Well, I must close now as class is just about to begin. We truly remember you all in our prayers, and we miss you desperately. Thank you for your love and support, and for your prayers for us! Lots of love from Oz :) XOXOXO

3 comments:

  1. Bridget Madrid TraskFebruary 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM

    Emily, those beautiful words from your sister are just what I needed to hear today with my huge 7 month preggo belly! Even though I should know what it is like by number 3. It is so hard when you get to the end - I love how she says the cross of motherhood can be your victory!

    Congratulations on the little one and I hope pregnancy goes well. I'll be thinking of you, yes, sharing in the joys and miseries of pregnancy with you. Somehow we all need eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily!

    I will just say that I'm really glad I was late for work because I was reading your post and missed the bus. Reading it was way better than work anyway. I was training for most of Shannon's pregnancy, and so I can relate to Joe not being around as much as you probably want during yours. Know that I am praying for you through your pregnancy and hopeful of the day when this world can welcome your son or daughter.

    I am headed up to Iraq to help out the U.S. Army...I have really started wondering what was on God's mind when he created the Middle East. After that, however, I am going HOME! Keep me in your prayers during these last two weeks!

    Until next time,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post, Em!
    There is nothing more special than being with your beloved on any day, and being able to have a share in God's creation on a day on which love is celebrated is amazing. The ultimate act of love is the sacrificial love you have accepted by being open to life! You two are going to be wonderful, loving parents.
    I love how you say that romance infuses your whole marriage. That's what each of my days feels like too, and I pray that this romance between you and Joe never goes away!

    geneva

    ReplyDelete