Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Aussie Way...

Good morning to all of our dearly loved ones! It is just after 9:00 am on Sunday morning here in Melbourne, Joe is out coaching an under-18 girls team and so, after briefly tidying up (the JOY of a tiny house!) I am here with a few moments to write you. I thought that, for something COMPLETELY different I'd introduce all of our far away loved ones to some of the funny Australian colloquialisms that we've discovered. I staunchly refuse to be won over while, on the other hand, Joe has started to adopt little phrases here and there.

How you going? - how are you doing?
No Dramas! - Don't worry about it
She/he is GORGEOUS - she/he is a really nice person
It (the food) is gorgeous - it tastes really good!
I'm full on - I'm really busy
It was full on - It was really intense (as in a workout)
I'm knackered - I'm exhausted
I'm stuffed - I'm exhausted
Go for your life -  give it a try
I was blind! - I was very drunk
Pram - stroller
Grog/piss - beer, liquor, spirit
Nappies/ nappy bag - diapers/diaper bag
Bub - Baby
Bath Sheet - large towel
Doona - bedspread
Flat white - coffee with milk
Short black - coffee without milk
Capsicum - read/green/yellow peppers
Petrol - Gasoline
Bloke - male
Bird - female

Melbourne is very much a "cafe" culture, with a plethora of corner cafes where people sit down with a flat white or cappuchino and, most likely, a pastry of some sort. Meat pies are hugely popular here, as well as sausage rolls and the like! We didn't really understand why there is an obesity problem in this country, but I've come to the conclusion it is due to the most delicious pastries and savory pies you've ever tasted!

Also, they are just obsessed with Chicken Parma here! Most restaurants will have a "chicken parma special" one night a week, because everybody seems to love it. Havn't tasted it yet, maybe it is worth all the hype!

Anyhow, I'm sure more oddities will come to me, but I'll leave it at that for now! Here is a popular tv commercial here that really does capture this city quite well!


In other news, Baby at 17 weeks not only has eye brows and eye lashes, but also is working hard at turning cartilage to bone and has even started to develop some baby fat! Keep growing little one!!!

We love you all, our dearest friends and family. We miss you, every day we miss you! Lots of love, hugs and kisses...know that we pray for you with hearts full of love. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. These blogs are so sweet! You are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bath Sheet is not just in Australia...Matt introduced me to the joy of an oversized towel when we got married and now I;m hooked. LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete