Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Little of This and That

Hello friends! I've loved reading little real-life updates like this on blogs through the years (Elizabeth Foss, Amy Salisbury...) and so I thought I'd type one out....it was fun to think about these little aspects of our every day life. I hope you enjoy as well!

Thankful: For my grandmother’s condo in Canmore and early-to-bed children.  I sit here typing away at 7:30 with children snoring and the three sisters peering down on me through the windows. Things have been so busy for our family and to escape where life is quiet and play is easy, such a gift!

A beautiful icy/slushy walk 
We love swimming at Elevation Place in Canmore. I could not believe this girl's legs....
the legs of a little girl that goes HARD and is super tough. Any one else have little ones with legs like this?
Cooking: I have been working on more budget and health friendly foods as Joe finds himself sensitive to too much wheat and our budget finds itself sensitive to the ideal of buying everything free-from/free-range/organic. We’ve come to love steel head trout from Costco and tonight I experimented with (GASP) frozen organic vegetables - nothing against them I just haven't bought them for a while. A little butter, garlic powder and soy sauce and they were actually very yummy! For lunch we had Costco brand black bean burgers crumbled and topped with goat mozzarella, quesadilla style. Seriously delicious, and even nutritious!

Listening to: The children and I have had Joey+Rory’s “Hymns” album on non-stop - that or CIBC radio 2 for classical during the day. We play a fun game of imagining the scene that the instruments are playing out. We have also fallen in love with The Okee Dokee Brothers two albums (“Can YouCanoe” and “Through the Woods”) Seriously, if you have children and like bluegrass you must track down these albums. So enjoyable!

Drinking: Very much enjoying red rose tea these days, and if I have an adult drink at nighttime I’ve become a malbec girl. We also have a non-stop supply of bubbly H20 at our house. 

Watching: Joe and I are enjoying this current season of “Suits”. On the odd night he is out I am also enjoying the guilty pleasure of “Jane the Virgin.” Crazy story but I had a (very innocent) teenage tropical romance with the main actor, and so I find it fun to watch the show. Actually, it is great for a laugh!

Reading: “Beyond the Birds and the Bees,” and “The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.” I also made a reading list for the year. I will feel incredibly accomplished if I make it through.

Feeling: A little tired and weary. We’ve been go-go-go between Joe’s highly demanding Job, his basketball coaching position, my 2 days with 2 extra little sweeties, and the regular ins and outs of family life. When I start to feel anxious I wake up in the middle of the night with my eyes WIDE open and just can’t settle down. Even melatonin doesn’t work for me. Consequently I feel weary, but hopeful that this exhaustion, too, shall pass!

Wearing: These days I am wearing high-rise true skinnies from gap in dark wash. After weaning Judah I put on a little weight and I had to consign my old jeans because I was really tired of trying to squeeze into them. Oh child-bearing/rearing, you keep us humble! But seriously, GO GAP! Great jeans and with all of the gap promotions going on, a great price as well.

Realizing: If I start a day without prayer, the day suffers. Trying to make it happen EVERY DAY.

Praying: The rosary with our children every day. It is so endearing to hear them start to chime in and we have found it beautifully calming at the end of our day.

Disliking: The intensity of the GOP presidential debates. Joe and I have actually had to turn the last couple off because we start squirming in our seats and sweating with adrenaline. Trying to go to sleep after those things? Forget it! Seriously though….

Wanting: To have our taxes finished so that we know how much we owe the government. I am in charge of our taxes each year, but because Joe works as a consultant I am starting to find it confusing and overwhelming, and I always worry that the little bit we are setting aside is still not enough for tax season. We are hoping to take care of them next week.


Cheering for: My girlfriends who all fight their own very real and glorious battles. From many little children, to busy husbands, or tough pregnancies, or high-strung babies, or financial worries, spiritual dryness, and on and on and on…you are all such gifts to our world and your families. GO FRIENDS GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment