Wednesday, March 16, 2016

St. Patrick's Day and the Day It All Began (Officially)

St. Patrick's day is tomorrow, but these next few days are going to be incredibly busy! Joe and his high school boys team have made the provincial championships, so in a couple hours the four of us trek to Pincher Creek Alberta to coach (him) and cheer (us). Which means that we won't have much time for St. Paddy's day celebrations other than some rousing "Go Go Gos".

Mach 17th is one of those days that holds a beautiful, happy, lifelong memory for me. 7 years ago, when St. Patrick's day rolled around, Joe and I had been spending as many hours each day as we could together and yet we weren't "official." This was despite the fact that he had already told me that he was going to marry me, and I believed him! I mean seriously, he is so creative and he did so many beautiful romantic things for me. He was very intent on wooing! One in particular that stands out is a picnic in the woods that he planned. He tricked me into walking that way with a friend, and before I knew it there was a path of candles and rocks in heart shapes leading me to a picnic nestled in the woods and a bouquet of wild flowers. My Joe, he always does things a little unconventionally, but always so beautifully.

Being the romantic that he is, he wanted to do things the old fashioned way and seal the deal that we were going "steady". He had been promising me for weeks that he would teach me how to pitch. I didn't know anything about baseball prior to meeting Joe, but as he was pitching for the varsity team I sure spent many hours getting to know the game very quickly! I was so fascinated by all of the different pitches. Being the clueless Canadian that I was, I thought the pitcher just threw the ball as fast as he could as straight as he could. Silly me!





Joe asked me, after his game on St. Patrick's day if I wanted to play catch! He taught me a curve ball, slider, and change up. Of course, I kept throwing the ball everywhere but to his glove. One of the times that he was chasing after one of my wild throws he switched the ball we were using and passed me a ball on which he had written, "will you be my girlfriend?"



Of course I swooned at the cheesiness and leaped in his arms and kissed his face and said YES!

I think that falling in love should be cheesy. There is enough time to be serious in life, so if you are reading this and falling-in-love with your forever Love has not yet happened to you, when it does, allow yourself to fall hard and be cheesy. Don't hold back, because the farther you fall the deeper your conviction of love will be, even on the days when love doesn't feel easy.

So, Happy St. Patrick's day to all of you, dear ones! May your day be blessed with abundant joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment