Friday, December 12, 2014

That One Time Judah Vomited in the Houston Airport...

It started the night before our departure from Texas. I took many hours to fall asleep as I thought ahead to the day before us, several hours driving, 3 airports, 4 hour layover, car seats, customs, enough diapers, snacks....zzzzzzzzz. Too few hours later I awoke to a crying babe, a crying babe whose tears soon turned to....vomit. Yes, Judah had the stomach flu and we were travelling for 14+ hours the next day. Well, a night of sick babe turned into a morning of yes, we are indeed doing this, and we arrived in Dallas after 2 hours in the car and more vomit than I could keep up with.

No, this is not a story about vomit, indeed, it is a story of humanity's goodness. So, stay with me!

My anxiety levels were so high as we boarded our first flight. It has been our experience these days that people really don't like freaks like us  other people who fly with small children! Even though our children are so very well behaved and travel like old pros, we get all sorts of skeptical glances as we wheel our bright red double britax through the airport and down the ramp.

Miraculously, our sweet and sick boy made it through the first leg of our flight with only a very stinky diaper that needed changing immediately when we landed. The flight was so bumpy that the seat belt sign never went off so I couldn't change him! Of course, our darling toddler also was doing her utmost to "hold it," but needed mama to RUSH her to the toilet while daddy waited for said red britax. I walked off of the plane holding Judah on the hip and Liliana's sweet hand in mine, dashing our way to the nearest bathroom when poor babe projectile vomited all over everywhere...his clothes, my clothes, our bags, the floor....every.where.

I stood there, dripping. I had no sense of what to do other than SCREAM AND GAG panic on the inside, smile on the outside, comfort poor Judah, and figure out where Joe was.

In the  meantime, I tell you dear readers, my hope in humanity was affirmed and surpassed. Those people in front of us who I thought where sending nasty glances? They ran and claimed our stroller while daddy ran L to the toilet. They proceeded to stand with me and reassure me that all was well while I waited for Joe to return with paper towel. In the meantime, I kid you not, at least a dozen strangers stopped and asked me if I needed help. They looked me in the eye with kindness, they cooed and smiled at Judah, and they wished me a happy trip.

Oh how much I learned that day. There is so much goodness in those around me! Do I take the initiative to smile at those we encounter before presuming their attitude towards my family? Do I seek to meet the needs of those around me, even in the smallest way, not knowing how it will brighten their day? Do I see beautiful hearts made for joy before judging a bitter heart seeking to judge?

It was a valuable lesson. Could I possibly be grateful for a stomach bug? Maybe just a little..

I mean, who could be too upset at that sweet face?
Love and prayers,


No comments:

Post a Comment