Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Why Blog?

The other day I read a comment from a friend on social media. It was something to the effect of, "I've not ever gotten on the blogging train, I mean, why would I want to read someone's diary?"

This comment really did get me thinking. Why do I blog? Why do I share so many things, lots of them quite intimate, with a random crowd? Certainly I started our blog to share our adventures in Australia as newlyweds with family and friends, but as life has evolved so has this blog. So now, what is it and why do I blog?

I started with the process of elimination.

I am not a fashionista (although I can't pretend that I don't often wish I was....oh vanity how I need to work on you!), this is not a fashion blog.

While I almost daily show people that I love them by feeding them healthy and delicious food, I do not take pictures of beautifully sliced, carefully measured, and gloriously presented dishes ergo this is not a food blog.

I am not a business woman, nor an intellectual, and my blog is seldom a place where I share business ideas or intellectual thoughts. (I think I am too much of a coward, I cringe and get stomach aches reading debates on social media that I am not even a part of). While I am in charge of the business of our home and I certainly think about many perplexing issues, due to my intense fear of conflict this is not a business or a philosophy blog.

 Am I a mommy blogger? I don't think so. My blog is pieced together, with no fancy tabs, awesome headers, give-aways, or sponsors. My children are certainly not dressed in amazing trendy etsy purchased clothing and I do not throw incredible to die for parties on an intensely low budget....thank you Mommy bloggers for inspiring me in so many ways!

This isn't a Catholic blog either, for while I often share bits and pieces of our faith life I am by no means a model of Catholic motherhood, education, tradition, or understanding. I am still learning and discovering. 

So then why, oh why, do I blog?

When I really get to the heart of it, I think there are two main reasons. 

The first is that I blog for my husband and our children. I honestly hope that one day my children will read my words and know, without a doubt, that they are loved. I hope they will smile at their silly mama who gushed over them and fussed over them and tried so hard to love them well. I hope they will be reminded of joy in the little moments, even the hard ones.  I hope that my husband is proud as he reads my words and knows that his wife adores him, even when she is too consumed with the little moments of life to say it enough. Of course, this extends then to our relatives far away who don't get to witness the little moments of joy and struggle. This is an easy way for me to share our lives with them, and one that is natural to me.

However, I also blog because I hope that in some small way my stories touch hearts. I try to take this gift to put thoughts into words and write in such a way that someone reading them can identify with the human experience and be touched and left happier or better. I've always loved to write, and I question often how I can, from my little house with my little loves, do some good for those around me and our world. Perhaps blogging is one of those ways.

Our life is far from perfect, and I don't want to give the impression that it is. I just want to be real and above all to write from a place of love, joy, and hope! If, in some small way I can convey a message of love, joy, and hope to another soul, I will be a happy woman.

Blessings on this snowy winter night!

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment