Friday, March 25, 2011

Blessed Are We!

Dearest Ones,

The days are just flying by and I'm sorry that I've been sooo slack on updating our blog! I'm not sure if many of you saw the blog before this, with little tidbits from our life, but needless to say we've been busy and, as usual, so very peace and joy-filled!

I want to take a moment to reflect on just how blessed we are to, at this point in our lives, have so very little. No, I am not in ANY way looking for pity,  and we are in NO way destitute, but I simply can't help but share how amazing life can be when pennies are being counted. I know many of you know that we've had trouble finding Joe a fulltime job, and with the cost of living here in Australia times have been tight. 5 months ago I had terror in my heart at the thought of being "poor." I was so influenced by all the messages we receive that tell us we simply can't be happy without things and money. I wondered if we had been stupid in our openness to concieving a baby in the midst of all of the uncertainty...and I had moments of doubting whether, in fact, God would provide! I have learned a most valuable and life-long lesson. I never knew how amazing the 2.50 hotdog deal at costco actually tasted until it became our date. I never knew the utter joy of a new pair of socks to workout in, nor the feeling of victory in stretching a very small food budget to feed a very big man! I never knew how much I could come to treasure just "being" instead of "having." I never anticipated how easy it would be to live without my guilty pleasures like magazines and chewing gum. I simply never foresaw the heroic love of my husband in providing for my family and sacrificing his favorite things (like scotch!). I never knew that my best friend in the world could become even more dear to my heart when he is the only thing I have to hold onto. I had never experienced God's incredible Providence, that somehow whenever we need something, it comes through...whenever I feel desperate a package arrives with some money or a meal arrives at the door. I am so grateful that we have had this struggle, and I hope that I never forget it! We are so blessed.

Joe had an absolutely unbelievable first game last weekend, (maybe giving up the scotch is helping him jump higher!). He started the game with a massive dunk, at which the whole crowd went nuts! He played hard the whole game, almost giving me a heart attack multiple times we landed with a loud thump on the floor. He finally scored an incredible fadeaway threepointer from the far right corner of the court to bring the team within one point of the game. Unfortunately they lost by that one point, but Joe walked off that court a total hero. I was SO PROUD! Our little girl kicked the whole game, I think she didn't know quite what to think of all the noise, and of course she probably felt my heart accelerating like crazy too!!  You can keep up with his stats via this link http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Joe+Packard&action=PSTATS&player_id=192311270&client=0-913-15120-151640-14597519

We have named our wee one, and we just love calling her by name. She is LILIANA JOY PACKARD. Her name is Italian and it means lilies, which is the flower of the Eucharist and a symbol of purity. She will be Lyla for short, as Lily is a very popular name at the moment so we want to stay away from that. We are so happy with her name and every day when I look at her picture I can't help but think how perfectly it suits her!

Well, that is all for now! It is a beautiful feast day of the Annunciation here today, I can't believe that it is 9 months until Christmas!! However, Lent and Easter first! We pray you are having a beautiful spring (for those in North American) and autumn (for those here!). We love you and of course pray for you every day, thank you for blessing our lives with your love! xoxo

Emily and baby Liliana

4 comments:

  1. what a beautiful example of love between a husband and wife and it's finest my darling sister. I am so proud of you and love you and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, your blogs always bring a tear to my eyes! You, Joe and baby Liliana are never far from our thoughts and we hope that life treats you kindly in the land "down under". Our love and biggest hugs to you all !!! Take good care, We also are so proud of you....xoxoxoxo
    PS: love, love, love your little girl's name....Beautiful !!
    Love Auntie Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Eve,
    I love that you and joe are doing so well. It's good to see that you two have settled in austrailia and are living the life you two set out to have. Liliana is such a beautiful name, and I am sure she will inherit both her parents' stunning good looks. It is good to see joe playing basketball again. He loved it so much. I remember him coming back very tired from practice with marino, so we only felt that he should be cheered on just as hard at home games (the ones that we could make!). He will definitely shine on and off the court. Well the clementines are graduating soon. We only have a month left or so. It is sooo daunting and scary, idk what to do! But it gives me great hope that you two found what you two were looking for in each other; that is such a beautiful thing. Oh! and i have not been reading the blog, but i remember reading about quang! If ever you need to call a little vietnamese boy by an english name, may i suggest Mike? or Mikey? Well, i know things will be okay for you two; joe will make sure of that! and i'm sure baby Liliana will be a basket of joy.
    God bless& Best wishes,
    The Clementines

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I JUST REALIZED I PUT DOWN EVE! I AM SOO SORRRY EMILY! PLLEASSEE FOORGIIVEEE ME!

    ReplyDelete