Saturday, July 19, 2014

Bubble Baths and Grace

She sits with the bubbles up to her armpits, her beautifully perfect little back and kissable shoulders peeking above them. Her hair all sudsy with the smell of strawberries and lavender, she begs me "mama use the little cup!"

Things are simple around the Packard household these days. The adventures of two newly married gave way to the busyness of two and a first born. This busyness has in turn been replaced by quiet days around the house or playing outside with a firstborn and a chubby little brother. However, these simple moments time and again give me profound glimpses of how our good God loves us.

She begs me to use the little cup to rinse her hair out. The little cup is TINY! It pours out maybe an ounce, and it takes at least twenty little cups to wash all of the soap out of her hair. I keep thinking to myself that it would be so much faster and her angst would be so much lessened if I used a big bucket.

Then it occurs to me that this is how God loves us. He sees the big picture, and He sees how much easier we could make things for ourselves if we would just open our hearts to His outpouring of grace. Yet, He respects our freedom and doesn't impose on our fears and insecurities. If we need Him to pour His grace on us little by little, to reveal His magnificent plan for our lives in very small doses, that is what He does.

And so I use the little cup, and ounce by ounce her fine blonde hair is rinsed, not without a little sadness about water in eyes and a little more sadness about how long it is taking. Yet, she insists I continue with the little cup and so we do...as my heart turns to a God above who is little by little pouring His grace into my life in such a way that I am not afraid or overwhelmed. Instead I am able to be slowly washed clean by His merciful love.

xoxo


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful reflection Em, and so so true. How much parenting is teaching me about God's love for us is astounding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! It is astounding, isn't it? God is good!

      Delete